Homemade Espagnole sauce. Very easy and delicious sauce with mushrooms,bacon and sherry.
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsalted butter,melted
- 3 slices bacon,chopped
- 1 carrot,peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery,chopped
- 1 yellow onion,peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (725 ml) beef stock
- 4 mushrooms,washed and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 g) tomato paste
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sherry
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a heavy saucepan,heat melted butter.
- Add chopped bacon,carrot,celery and onion.Cook,stirring,until vegetables are golden brown.
- Stir in all-purpose flour.
- Cook over medium heat until the roux is a deep golden brown (for about 12-15 minutes).
- Stir in beef stock,increase heat to high and ,stirring,bring to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms,tomato paste,bouquet garni and seasoning.Reduce heat to low and simmer for for 1 hour,stirring frequently.
- Strain through the fine strainer.
- Add the sherry,then taste and adjust the flavor if necessary.