Chicken Breasts Creole
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 medium-size yellow onion,chopped
- 1 medium-size sweet green pepper,cored,chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,minced
- 2 whole chicken breasts,halved and skinned
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can low-sodium stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary,crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram,crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon flour blended with 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- In heavy 12-inch skillet,malt 1 tablespoon of the margarine over moderate heat.Add the onion,green pepper,celery,and garlic,and cook,uncovered,until the onion is soft-about 5 minutes.Transfer to a small dish.
- Raise the heat under the skillet to moderately high and add the remaining margarine.While it melts,sprinkle the chicken breasts all over with paprika and cayenne pepper.Add the chicken to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes,turning occasionally.
- Add half of the cooked vegetables to the skillet along with tomatoes,rosemary,marjoram,and bay leaf;reduce the heat,cover,and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken breasts are fork-tender.
- Whisk in the flour-chicken broth mixture and cook,stirring constantly,until the sauce has thickened-about 3 minutes.Return the remaining vegetables to the skillet and heat for 3 minutes.Discard the bay leaf.Serve chicken breasts with fluffy boiled rice and steamed okra.