- 1 large onion,peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery,trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot,scraped and finely chopped
- 2 oz(60g) bacon rashers,chopped
- 2 oz(60 g) butter
- 1 1/2 lb pumpkin,seeded,skin on,cut into chunks
- 3 pints(1.7 l) chicken stock
- 1 garlic clove.peeled and crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 oz(180g) long grain rice,washed
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Pumpkin Soup with Rice
1.Melt the butter in frying pan.
2.Add onion,celery,carrot and bacon.
3.Fry for 5 minutes,stirring occasionally.
4.Add pumpkin chunks and fry,stirring, for additional 5 minutes.
5.Add chicken stock,garlic,salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
6.Reduce the heat.
7.Add the rice to the soup.
8.Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes,until rice is tender.
9.Stir in Parmesan cheese and adjust seasoning.
10.Pour pumpkin soup with rice into serving bowls.
11.Serve soup with bread sticks.