Oven baked cod with chips. This is very delicious recipe.Must try.Adapted from http://www.afamilyfeast.com
Makes 4 servings
Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds (720 g) cod fillets,cut into 8-10 '' inches (20-25 cm) strips
- 2 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour,divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) beer (dark ale)
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle juice
- 1 1/2 cups (370 ml) unsweetened lemon seltzer water
- 2 russet potatoes,skin on and sliced into wedges
- canola oil for frying
- Sift 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour in a medium bowl.
- Roll fish strips in flour,then shake off excess and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl,combine remaining flour,baking soda,salt,black pepper and vinegar.Stir well.
- Add honey,dark ale and pickle juice.Whisk,pouring lemon seltzer water until the batter is the consistency of a light pancake batter. Set aside.
- Pat dry potato wedges with paper towel.
- Preheat your oven to 250 F (125 C).
- In a cast iron skillet fill 3/4 full with canola oil.Heat the oil to 325 F (160 C).
- Working in a batches,cook the fries just until cooked (do not brown!).
- Bring the oil to 350 F (175 C).
- Dip floured fish strips into batter and,using a tongs,drip slightly, then lay the battered cod into the hot oil gently
- Working in a batches,cook fish for five minutes,turning once.
- Once the last piece of fish is cooked and the temperature of the oil is back up to 350 degree, drop in half the fries and cook until crisp.
- Place crispy fries on the pan with fish and sprinkle with salt as they come out of the oil. Cook the second batch of fries and place with the rest on the pan.More cod recipes>>>>>